So it's pretty awesome when someone shows up at your doorstep with 3 (THREE!) different dark chocolate bars as a special gift. That's exactly what happened this past weekend when Wade surprised me with these 3 beauties for my Easter gift. And I also received the Ghiradelli bar from my mom for Easter. I'm set on dark chocolate for a while!
"Endangered Species Chocolate was born out of a desire to make an impact on the growing number of plant and animal species that are disappearing from Earth. With interests rooted in a deep love of chocolate making, Endangered Species Chocolate set out in 1993 to source natural, ethically traded chocolate as a carrier for an environmental message. Through the crafting of premium, thoughtfully sourced chocolate, Endangered Species Chocolate generates funds for conservation efforts worldwide."
"Every time you purchase a bar, you raise support for species and habitats worldwide. Each year, Endangered Species Chocolate donates 10% of net profits to environmental non-profits that are focused on wildlife conservation and habitat preservation."
I am happy to support Endangered Species Chocolate in their mission. Plus it's a win-win because I get to enjoy their heavenly dark chocolate they've so expertly crafted. Endangered Species chocolate bars certainly don't skimp on taste either. I've already tried the Dark Chocolate with raspberries and my taste buds did a little happy dance.
Health Benefits of Dark Chocolate
- Eating a small amount of dark chocolate two or three times each week can help lower your blood pressure. Dark chocolate aids in blood flow and helps in the prevention of blood clots.
- Dark chocolate contains several chemical compounds that have a positive effect on your mood and brain health. Chocolate contains phenylethylamine (PEA), the same chemical your brain creates when you feel like you're falling in love. PEA encourages your brain to release endorphins, so eating dark chocolate will make you feel happier.
- Flavonoids in dark chocolate help reduce insulin resistance by helping your cells to function normally and regain the ability to use your body's insulin efficiently, which helps to prevent Type 2 Diabetes
- Dark chocolate is loaded with antioxidants. Antioxidants help rid the body of free radicals which can have a damaging effect on your cells--including those related to aging and cancer.
- High in the following nutrients: potassium, magnesium, copper, iron, dietary fiber